It’s that time of the year when we are too exposed to the harmful UV sun rays, which in turn can cause us temporary or permanent skin damages, if we do not protect it properly.
In the following, there are few things about sunbathing, that we might not have known about till now:
- There are two types of ultraviolet radiation - UVA (Ultraviolet A) and UVB (Ultraviolet B). Always look for labels that indicate protection from both UVB and UVA rays with the term “broad-spectrum protection”.
- UVB rays are responsible for tanning. In the certain amount, they’re good for our skin as they penetrate into your epidermis - the top layer of the skin and stimulate the production of the vitamin D and melanin - the skin pigment that tans and protects our skin.
- If we get too much UVB we will get sunburned as well. The frequent sunburns can lead to the two of the most common forms of skin cancer.
- UVA rays can penetrate deep into our dermis - the lowest layer of the skin, and lead to the skin cancer known as melanoma.
- SPF sunscreens actually mean how much longer our skin will take to burn. For example: an SPF 30 sunscreen takes 30 times longer to redden than without wearing any sunscreen.
- Sunspots occur on the skin areas which are overly exposed to the sun and may appear darker or lighter than our normal skin tone. They can be flat, raised or scaly and may cause itching and burning.
But, fortunately there are natural home remedies that can offer relief for sunburn and help us save our skin.
- Aloe Vera calms and soothes the skin. The fresh aloe vera gel will encourage faster burn healing. It also helps heal sunspots on the skin by stimulating cell regeneration.
- Coconut Oil contains fatty acids that moisturize the skin, plus it contains vitamin E that helps repair and nourish the skin.
- Milk has fatty acids and act as a natural moisturizer as well. It also cools the skin affected by sunburn and can brighten the spots.
- Sandalwood is great natural remedy for burns and inflamed skin.
- Witch hazel is an astringent that delivers extended relief from inflammation and sunburns.